Monday, November 16, 2009

Dear Reader,

My mission statement can be found on my lifecopingskills web site, but it is good to repeat it here, at the very beginning of my blog site.

If you are seeking advice on life's challenges, it is good to know how your advisor comes by his or her advice. No one has perfect knowledge, but there is much we can do to learn better ways to manage our personal emotional/psychological affairs, that will most likely bring rewarding outcomes in the long-run.

The following describes my value system and what I hope to achieve with my blogs.

I am dedicated to discovering the truth about the forces that shape our behavior for good and for bad. In this pursuit, I greatly respect the wisdom of the ages brought to us through the religions of the world, the great philosophers through history, and the findings of modern science. I also respect the many findings from my own life's experiences and that of my family and friends.
When the weight of all of these sources of information are in agreement, I am particularly impressed. Should my personal experiences and/or science reliably demonstrate that my beliefs, so derived may be false, I will make the appropriate changes necessary. Until then, I will strive to make all important decisions in my life, and similar recommendations to others, based upon this rational process.


As a psychologist, I will pray that I might benefit my clients, loved ones, friends and others in America and elsewhere by sharing what I have learned works well in life.

I am dedicated to strengthening good and beneficial thoughts and behavior in myself and all others who wish to join me in this effective life-coping-skills quest.

My blogs, to follow, will be comprised of many topics. Some will relate to solving particular problems, others will be primarily informational. I will speak to matters of family, children, and and adolescents. I will also try to address the many concerns and issues that arise as we live our lives among our adult loved ones, friends, or work peers and supervisors.

At times my blogs may be thematic, or they may deal with some concerns that are on my mind on any particular day.

If you are seeking in-depth written materials about meeting various life's challenges, please visit my web page and consider the manuals that are listed there and available for purchase at a very reasonable price. I have started with a manual on the use of Time-Outs, and other methods of teaching good behavior to children. Other manuals will follow in the weeks to come.

Also, I hope you will tell me the challenges and issues that you would personally like to see addressed in the future. Please feel welcome to Email topic requests to me, or leave your comments in my blog page. I will do my best to respond to them in a timely manner.

God's Blessings to you and your loved ones,


Dr. Tom

V. Thomas Mawhinney, Ph.D.
Health Services Provider in Psychology, HSPP 20090171A
Professor Emeritus of Psychology, Indiana University South Bend

No comments:

Post a Comment